HUMANE, the Heads of University Management & Administration Network in Europe, was set up in 1997 with the aim of grouping all heads of university administration in Europe in a network, devoted to professional development by sharing best practices. HUMANE received encouragement and initial financial support from the European Commission. Now, HUMANE is a non profit association registered in Belgium with the Secretariat based in Brussels. HUMANE has some 170 members from 26 different European countries.
HUMANE is a network of professional excellence which:
- Provides rich opportunities for Heads of University Management and their staff to meet and exchange experiences, share good practice and facilitate innovation in Higher Education institutions.
- Supports Heads of Administration as leaders within their organizations.
- Disseminates knowledge and skills of high relevance for the administration of European Higher Education institutions.
- Enhances operational leadership, day-to-day management, and administration as a profession crucial to the success of Higher Education institutions.
- Reinforces the relationships between academic and administrative leadership in Higher Education institutions.
- Provides advice to and works with European agencies to influence the development of efficient management procedures