Enrollment with Italian universities is regulated by the Ministry of University and Research (MIUR) in accordance with the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Entry requirements
Bilateral agreements and special conventions exist with various countries, but as a general rule, applicants must have studied for at least 12 years before applying for a university course. Those from countries where admission to university is possible after only 10 or 11 years of study must prove that they have attended the local university and passed all necessary examinations for 2 years or 1 year, so as to reach a total of 12 years of study. As an alternative to university studies they must prove to have a post-secondary title. In any case they must have passed the university entrance examination in their country, if required by law. For details concerning the validity of qualifications obtained abroad, consult the ministerial regulations (Italian text), in particular the updated attachments to regulations 1 and 2 .

European citizens, non-EU citizens resident in Italy with a current, valid residence permit and natives of Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Lichtenstein apply to the university like Italian citizens, submitting their admission application directly to the University, together with the documentation pertaining to their foreign academic qualifications.

Non-EU citizens resident abroad must submit a pre-application request to the Italian Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence.
Graduates who wish to apply for a place on a doctoral programme or in a medical specialisation school must adhere to the instructions in the competitive examination announcements.

When applying for a university course, you must enclose your qualification and the required documentation with your application.
All qualifications must be officially translated into Italian and authenticated by the authorities of the country in which they were issued (except in the case of international agreements and conventions that provide for exemption).
Each qualification must be accompanied by a “Dichiarazione di valore in loco” (Certificate of Equivalence of Qualification), issued by the Italian Embassy in the country in which the qualification was awarded.