Bachelor Degree - School: Engineering
o Class: L-23 (Ministerial Decree No 270 of 2004)
o Course type: Bachelor's Degree
o Duration: 3 years
o Access type: Open with entry skills test
o School: Engineering
o Department: Civil Engineering and Computer Science Engineering
o Course code: H20
Description and Teaching Objectives
This Degree trains professionals with interdisciplinary education enabling them to identify problems and seek appropriate solutions in the whole construction industry, putting in place the most correct and current strategies in construction and design.
It provides solid basic training in general and multidisciplinary Engineering to cope with the evolution and dynamics of the construction sector. Hence, graduates may find employment or continue with more specialised studies.
Such training includes:
- basic training during year 1 and 2 (Mathematical Analysis, Physics, Geometry, Computer Science, Chemistry) to provide students with the necessary tools to address technical subjects.
- basic training in history and representation during year 1 (History of Architecture, Architectural Design) to convey all necessary cultural knowledge to support technical skills.
- educational activities typical of Architecture (Technical Architecture, Architectural Survey) providing expertise regarding construction technology and junior engineers’ activities.
- educational activities in Construction (Solid Mechanics, Building Science, Structural Analysis and Design), concerning crucial scientific knowledge to operate in building design and inspection, both autonomously and under supervision.
Furthermore, this Degree offers some classes to complete students’ training with additional skills related to plant and environmental issues, safety management on construction sites, knowledge of building materials, knowledge of relevant regulatory frameworks.
Graduates may be awarded with the Italian title of Coordinatore per la progettazione e esecuzione dei lavori (i.e. Coordinator of works design and execution) pursuant to Legislative Decree No 81 of 2008 and any subsequent amendments.
This Degree allows access to the Italian state exam for section B enabling graduates to operate as (Junior) Engineers in sector A - Civil and Environmental Engineering, i.e. as professionals collaborating with Engineers' activities and who can also work autonomously.
Their main employment opportunities are:
- analysis, technical-economic evaluation, interpretation, representation and survey of buildings and environmental contexts;
- design support activities such as: intervention definition and technology choice to improve environmental quality, stop degradation and instability processes and remove and contain their causes;
- management activities such as: organisation and management on construction sites, management and economic assessment of building processes or land transformation in natural areas, management of related technical, administrative and productive processes;
- activities related to Safety and Protection Engineering for buildings such as: major infrastructure construction; management and service systems for buildings, construction sites, workplaces, venues for shows and sports events; public and private institutions developing prevention and safety management where graduates can operate with responsibility roles to assess safety conditions under current legislation.
Web References and Contacts
Coordinator: Professor Stefania Mornati
Didactic secretariat: Ms Maria Beatrice GIAMBENEDETTI and Ms Maria Luisa COTTONE
Tel: 06 7259 -7055; 06 7259 -7003